8GB DDR3 DIMMs on an Intel x58 Motherboard? Yep!

Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 11:11 AM
After the great RAM fiasco of 2014, I decided to test all of my RAM - even the extra sticks sitting in the drawer. 

One of my test systems is a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard.  My understanding is that the x58 chipset supports up to 6x4GB DDR3 memory sticks, for a total of 24GB RAM.

Without thinking, I popped in a pair of 8GB DIMMs to test.  Lo and behold, the system found the RAM and it tested just fine!  Unfortunately, this motherboard still seems to have a "maximum" limit of 24GB total system memory.  Still nice to know that there's a little more flexibility in memory selection on that platform.  At least in this case, yes, the x58 chipset is capable of addressing 8GB DIMMs.  

0 comments

Post a Comment

Line Rate | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com